18 september 2013

paddestoel

These red and white mushroom-like signs are called 'paddestoelen' Dutch for mushrooms) and are very common here in the Netherlands. You can find them everywhere on smaller roads and cycle paths, giving directions to (mostly) cyclists. This particular one, which is a lot bigger than usual, was placed in 2005 just outside the train station in Assen, to honor the fact that the province Drenthe owned exactly 1,000 of these 'paddestoelen'.
--
Dit uit de kluiten gewassen exemplaar werd in 2005 voor het station in Assen geplaatst ter ere van de 1000ste paddestoel in Drenthe.


Linking to signs, signs.

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Great idea (I have a very poor sense of direction, so it would be a real joy for me to have these signs!)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Very helpful, I'm certain.

    I wouldn't do too well with the Dutch translation. My first thought of paddestoel (without using a translating guide) was that it meant 'pedestal.' Similar but not the same! ;-)

    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my sign.

    ~Lindy

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. It is rather unique. I think I prefer the street sign style, though - not quite as bulky!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Don't be shy and leave a comment. I'd love to read what you think!