The bridge that crosses the moat and leads to the Fraeylemaborg was nicely decorated for Christmas. During the Middle Ages, these borgen (manors, castles) in this region of the Netherlands were the only buildings -next to churches- that used durable stone and masonry, and they became centers of power and wealth.
The name 'Fraeylema' was mentioned in the archives of 1504; the building originates from the 16th century and has had several owners since then. At the end of the 18th century it was rebuilt in the shape it has today. Since the 1970s the Fraeylemaborg is a historic house museum.