Some houses in the (one and only) village of the island Schiermonnikoog.
The earliest mention of Schiermonnikoog in writing dates from October 1440. The island's first known owners were the monks of Claercamp Abbey, a Cistercian monastery near Dokkum, on the mainland. "Monnik" means "monk", "schier" is an archaic word meaning "grey", referring to the colour of the monks' habits, and "oog" translates as "island". So the name "Schiermonnikoog" can be translated as Grey Monk Island.