This mosaic bench at the Hoofdstraat in Stadskanaal pictures the growth of the city after WW2. Philips opened a factory in Stadskanaal in 1955, which meant a lot of jobs and economical growth obviously. New residential areas came, as well as a theater and a library. In 2004 Philips decided to stop making products here and closed its factory.
On the bench are photos of a number of houses and buildings of that time.
Children of the local Gabriël Dam primary school put the tiny glass mosaic pieces on this bench.