We visited Fortress Kijkduin last weekend, located in the dunes of Huisduinen just south of the village of Den Helder. After Napoleon visited Den Helder in 1811 he became aware of the strategic importancy of the town, and wanted to create a big marine harbour here. The fortress in its original form was built in his command.
Nowadays the fortress is a museum, and learning about the history of the fortress and its residents made it an interesting visit. It also played a big role during WW2. The first photo was taken wandering through one of the narrower vaults which had blue lights, and the second photo shows one of the fortress entrances.