This white concrete sculpture in front of the Groningen Central Station is called 't Peerd van Ome Loeks, local dialect for Het paard van oom Lucas, or Uncle Lucas' Horse in English. It is regarded as one of Groningens symbols, that got its name from a local folk song with the same title. The sculpture was created by Jan de Baat in 1959.
Strangely enough it isn't really clear who 'uncle Lucas' was, and/or who invented the song. Most likely it was named after Lukas (Loeks) van Hemmen, who owned a pub as well as his own stables. After his famous racing horse Appelon died and the horse butcher came to collect the dead animal, some boys apparently sang the words: 't Peerd van Ome Loeks is dood' ('Uncle Lucas' horse is dead')