22 december 2014

Ebenezer Scrooge

'A Chrismas Carol', published in 1843, is probably the best-known novel by Charles Dickens. This mural from the Walstraat in Deventer pictures Ebenezer Scrooge on 3 doors, with texts above translated into Dutch.

The texts from left to right /translated into English (by me):

"Who and what are you?" Scrooge asked.
"I am the Ghost of Christmas Past"
"From a past long gone? Scrooge asked, as he watched 
the figure closely."
No. From your past."

I am the Ghost of Christmas Present, the ghost said.
Look at me. And even though the ghosts' eyes were bright and friendly,
Scrooge did not really want to look at him.
But he obeyed with respect.
You have not seen anybody like me before the ghost said.

The ghost stood between the graves and pointed at one.
Scrooge came closer, trembling. His eyes followed the pointing finger 
while his knees gave way, and on the stone of the neglected grave
he read his own name: Ebenezer Scrooge.


Linking to Monday Mural.

7 opmerkingen:

Don't be shy and leave a comment. I'd love to read what you think!