8 december 2014

The Little Dorrit mural

I went shopping in Deventer last Saturday and photographed several nice Dickens-murals in the Walstraat. This black and white one pictures a scene that refers to Dickens´ serial novel ´Little Dorrit´, and has a text translated into Dutch.
Little Dorrit was originally published between 1855 and 1857, and is a work of satire on the shortcomings of the government and society of the period.

The text:
"Dit was een gevangenis, mijnheer,
Een strafgevangenis?  ...... Kon iedereen hier naar binnen?
Iedereen kon naar binnen, zei de man nadrukkelijk
Maar niet iedereen kon weer naar buiten! "

and my own translation:
"This was a prison, sir,
A convict prison? ..... Could everyone get in here?
Everyone could get in here, the man emphasized
But not everyone could get out!" 


Linking to Monday Mural.

10 opmerkingen:

  1. It is not too often that one sees a B&W mural... but it works for me.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Leuke mural in deventer en ja het is natuurlijk dickens stad.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Wat mooi gedaan deze mural met een boodschap.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I enjoyed both the book and the BBC version starring Claire Foy.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. It could be satire on the shortcomings of the government and society of today. Things rarely change. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Quite a beautiful work. It's been years since I've read that book.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I admit, I've only seen the movie and never read the book, but I do like the story. This is a nice mural and the black and white seems appropriate.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Several Dickens murals? I hope you'll show us more. Thanks to the BBC TV production, I know the story of Little Dorrit. Otherwise, I'd be ignorant, by dickens. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Don't be shy and leave a comment. I'd love to read what you think!